As 2022 we’d like to acknowledge our achievements this past year. It was a busy year for the Canadian Pride Historical Society with many milestones achieved and foundations laid for our continuous progress on our Pride History Research and Education Projects. Thanks to our dedicated volunteers we have much to celebrate as we go into 2023.
- In January we revealed our new Accessibility Policy which was developed to help guide the organization on developing an Accessibility Plan to address accessibility and barriers.
- On June 3rd, 2022, during the 2022 Pride Winnipeg/Fierté Canada Pride Festival, we launched our extensive Research and Educational Materials that documents the historical account of the Pride Movement in Canada. The Research and Educational Materials were the cumulation of two years of extensive research and development of education resources for the use in schools, and for the general public.
- In June we announced that our website was now fully translated into French and could be accessed at www.fr.cphs.ca or by clicking on the “FR” button at the top of the page.
- During the summer our Chair and CEO Jonathan Niemczak provided virtual lunch and learn presentations to Red River College Polytech and Norton Rose Fulbright law firm on the history of the Pride Movement in Canada. The presentations covered the various national events throughout Canada from the 1950s to the 1980s that were pivotal to the national Pride Movement, as well as an overview of how the term Two-Spirit came to be and further resources for people to explore the Canadian Pride Movement.
- In May we joined Instagram (@CanPrideHistory) to increase our social media presence to share about our collective pride history.
- In September we published our new Research Intake Form for individuals that wish to submit historical Pride information directly to us.
- In October we launched our new Merchandise Store which features various items from t-shirts, hoodies, and hats to home items and accessories such as bags and mugs. Every purchase supports our organization and assists us in our preservation of Pride history in Canada.
- Over the course of the year, we successfully recruited and onboarded additional skilled volunteers to assist us with our work, expanding our team from 25 to 39.